Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Update from appointment #2

Mike and I went to see the OB this morning for our second appointment. When we got there, his medical assistant told us he had to run over to the hospital to check on a patient and that he may or may not be there for a while. She asked if it was OK if the other doctor in the practice saw me if my doctor wouldn't make it back and I said that was fine. I figure at some point I should probably meet him just in case he has to deliver my child instead of my own doctor. Today wasn't that day though.

After waiting a mere 5-10 minutes, Dr Breeden stuck his head in and asked if we wanted to see the baby. They have an ultrasound machine in the office and many of my girlfriends from work have gone to this group and they all say the same thing - they'll give you an ultrasound every time if you want. I didn't ask for it, but of course we were happy that he offered. Originally they had put us in the room with no ultrasound machine so I thought we wouldn't see it today, just hear the heartbeat by Doppler. Mike was a little disappointed, too. So Dr Breeden said that he didn't want us waiting around all morning since he had to go do an emergency c-section so he took us in to the ultrasound room, took some pictures, said everything looks great, and sent us on our way with instructions to come back in a month. He also gave me a prescription for pregnancy cleared headache medicine. I don't think I'm going to get it filled right away but it's nice to have since the headaches were so crazy the past couple of weeks. The whole appointment took a total of about 8 minutes once we were with him (maybe even less) and I guess this is how most of the appointments will be - pee in a cup, get weighed, get measured, maybe see an ultrasound, and schedule for a month from then.

While he did print out pictures for us today, they aren't very good quality so I don't feel like you'd even be able to tell what they look like. Therefore, I'm not going to share them, but I can tell you the baby was moving a lot and he had a hard time getting the baby still enough to finally count the heart beat (in the 150s) and that the baby waved to us during the ultrasound. I was able to pick out the spine, the arms and legs, and we even saw the baby's profile. Ultrasound is truly an amazing thing!

One of the many pros to the group that I have chosen is the proximity to the hospital. I am delivering at the same hospital that I work at and their office is directly across the driveway from the hospital on the same property. So when he ran over to check this woman in labor, he was still able to run back, do my appointment, and get back before she was fully prepped and the OR was ready to do the c-section. Also, I know that if anything were to happen while I was at work, they would be 100% open to me coming over so they could take a look. There is a closer hospital to our house but for me it was important to deliver where I work. There is no place else I would want my baby if it needed to be in the NICU and they have the best high risk practice around and the doctor is nationally renowned (if for some reason I had to go high risk). Also, whenever I'm ready to have this baby, I want to know my doctor is a 2 minute walk from the hospital during working hours!


  1. Sounds like a GREAT doctor situation, Katie...and I'm glad that you are going to deliver at YOUR hospital. You'll be able to relax since your surroundings will be so familiar!! Love ya and miss ya.

  2. You are so very, very lucky. Your doctors sound like a dream and nothing can replace the feeling of comfort and reassurance you'll get from them.

    By the way, I had pregnancy headaches, too. Mine last from about 11 weeks until maybe 22-23 weeks. Every day, some worse than others. I highly recommend using the medicine if you feel you need it because if they're like mine, Tylenol won't touch them.

    So glad you're feeing well otherwise. I am so excited for you!