Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Back to Work

Colin is already 13 weeks old so that means that my maternity leave officially ended a week ago.  Because of my current schedule, that meant that I really got 12 and a half weeks off since I work only weekends (and he was born on a Monday).  Unfortunately, though, I had to go back to work...

Mike's parents had already planned on coming in to town to help with babysitting the first weekend I returned to work, but because of some exciting changes on the horizon, Sally will stay with me an extra couple weekends followed by my mom coming out until mid-June.  This way, I don't have to have a babysitter until at least mid-June, and we're really still figuring that out.

I was all set to go back to work on Friday of last week, but because we didn't have enough patients (and too many nurses scheduled), I was put on call.  It was nice to have an extra day with my little man but then I had to mentally prepare myself all over again that night.  Saturday morning came around and, despite telling myself I wasn't going to cry, I did get a little teary as I was telling Mike the last time Colin ate and how much milk we had in the fridge versus the refrigerator...  It wasn't the easiest thing just walking out the door.  As long as I was busy at work (and I kept myself busy more or less), I was good on not thinking about missing him.  There was one time I called home, though, to ask how things were going and Mike proceeded to fill me in on how the sod was going...  until I pointed him the correct direction - how Colin was doing.  From all reports, Colin did great on Saturday.  When I met up with them after work and picked him up and hugged him, I really think he couldn't have cared less I was gone all day.

We stayed out late on Saturday night for Mike's going away get together and I think it did Colin in.  From the reports I got about Sunday, he was one unhappy, cranking, mommy-missing man.  I guess that does make me feel a little better - he does know when I'm not around - but then again I hate that he was so unhappy and my in-laws had to figure out how to deal with it.  Apparently Colin was fussy and crying a lot (and he is normally not a fussy one at all), was eating every hour and a half to two hours, would only sleep when being held, and overall just a cranky pants.  So it may have been because it was two days in a row without me, he was tired from being so over-stimulated the night before, he's hitting a growth spurt... any number of things, but the day was long.  My husband, however, was nice and didn't tell me that at all while I was at work.  In fact, I think he probably walked away specifically so I couldn't hear him fussing.

It was a difficult weekend for all of us, I think.  I hope that he figures out the best way to keep us all from going insane for the next weekend, though!  I'm not sure quite what I would do is I came home and found out he was cranky all day again!

No comments:

Post a Comment