Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Could crawling be far behind?

Colin and I spend lots of time playing on the floor while we are at home.  When we were at a friend's house yesterday he was very interested in all the toys that they had out and I realized that he had really just had the same toys out for a while at home so I thought I'd bring in some of the other toys that we have.  He was really enjoying it, especially the rattles and "car keys" that make noise (as much as a teething 6 month old can enjoy anything at least).  But that's not the point of this post...

During one of our play times on the floor today, I noticed this (Colin doesn't have much to say in this video but you may notice Oliver is happily purring away right next to my phone it seems)...


It's definitely one of his new favorite things to do (well, for today at least...).  And on top of that, yesterday morning while we were playing he used my shirt to try to stand up - and he did a decent job of it at that!  I don't really know if I'm ready for him to be more mobile than he already is.  He can make it from one side of the room to the other just by scooting and rolling!  I noticed him trying to get his knees underneath him the other day but this is the first time he has done it for any length of time and multiple times in a row.  He's still working on getting back down from sitting up without falling and bonking his head, but maybe the rocking and eventual crawling will get his core the strength he needs to do that?

We are also having a long week of teething.  I can actually see the inflammation on the gums but no teeth yet.  As many friends remind me, it could take a while for the teeth to come through.  It makes me sad because my smiley, happy Colin has been replaced by one who has to be held ALL. THE. TIME.  (To clarify, I'm not sad that he needs to be held all the time, I'm sad he's so miserable.)  I got some Hylands Teething Tablets today and, whether or not it's mental, they did seem to help.  For the first time since he's been Mr. Cranky Pants he actually let me look in his mouth without fighting.  The Tylenol and Motrin that I am giving doesn't make much of a difference either and honestly he does not like the Motrin so that's no help anyways - it's quite a fight to get it down.

Eating solids has gone by the wayside as well with this whole teething thing.  He had such a great first time with his sweet potatoes when Mike was home last weekend but since then he has had no interest at all.  I try to give him one bite and he spits it out and/or turns his head away.  But he sure did look cute the one time he did eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment