Saturday, July 10, 2010

There's just one!

We had our first appointment on Tuesday and we were so excited to see the little peanut moving around on the screen of the ultrasound. My doctor is fabulous and the practice came highly recommended by the ladies I work with. I asked him how many ultrasounds we would get and he said as many as I needed to feel comfortable. It's really nice to know that he understands where I'm coming from as a nurse who works in PICU and occasionally NICU and that I want to know that my baby is healthy and things are moving along well. Will I be so crazy as to want an ultrasound every time I'm in the office? I sure hope not! I'll need my husband to be a good influence on that one.

But on to the appointment... I had a day of appointments so I met M there. For some reason, Denver traffic was bad so I was afraid that he wouldn't make it on time. He finally got there right as we were about to go back. The doctor was there right away - I don't think I have ever had to wait long in this office - and asked how I was feeling. I said that I felt hungover all the time and was exhausted and he said good, you're pregnant! He did the ultrasound right away and it was SO incredible to see the little heartbeat on the screen. Then he zoomed in and we were able to HEAR the heartbeat, too! The little ticker was going at 162 beats per minute!! I'm serious - it was incredible! I made him verify that there was only one baby in there (there was). He gave me his pager number if I ever need to get in touch with him outside of office hours. He said if I'm feeling anything weird at all just come by and he'll take a look. He verified that I should be eating whatever I want at this point and that my weight will all even out as I start to feel better and can exercise more and eat better.

All in all it was an awesome day. I look at those pictures a lot! I can't wait to show them to my mom and sister tomorrow. Since I have had the appointment and he said that now the chance of miscarriage is less than 5% (since we've seen the heartbeat on ultrasound) I'm feeling better about telling people about it. I have told one or two more people here and there and we are going to finish telling family this weekend. Then I just have to figure out who all I need to tell before it gets to them from someone else - maybe on my drive tomorrow I'll work on calling all my girlfriends.

I think we both are still feeling a little like it's not quite real at times but seeing the heartbeat definitely made it more real for us. Since I have been feeling so crappy, I think I am feeling more real about it but it took M seeing and hearing the heartbeat to feel like it was more real. I'm sure as we go through the next 31 weeks we will have many instances where the reality slaps us in the face, but for now, we'll just go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment